Monday, April 13, 2009

Turkish Rambo in America! - Interview with Ed Glaser


KORKUSUZ - U.S.A

We gravely happy to met with a Turkish Fantastic Movies fan who is owner of Dark Maze Studios producer - director Ed Glaser from the other side of the ocean.

He bought releasing rights of Çetin İnanç's 1986 First Blood remake-rip off classic KORKUSUZ. KORKUSUZ - RAMPAGE DVD is almost ready for sale at the end of April. Its mastering works have continued since last year's summer.


First could you mention about your company's history?
"Certainly! I started Dark Maze Studios in 2005 after making a handful of very low-budget short films, mostly horror. My first feature-length movie was a satire of videogames called PRESS START, which I made in 2006 and 2007.
Around the same time, I also started producing and directing a spin-off animated series for the web called PRESS START: BONUS LEVELS, which later became PRESS START ADVENTURES. Both the movie and the cartoons featured a number of videogame guest actors from series like Mortal Kombat, Sonic the Hedgehog, and Castlevania; plus music by videogame composer Jake Kaufman.
In 2008 I produced ad a low-budget sci-fi/action video series for mobile phones called ROBOGIRL, which was sort of a cross between TERMINATOR and INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS."
How did you know Turkish Fantastic Flicks?:
"Like many Americans, my first exposure to Turkish Fantastic Cinema was DUNYAYI KURTARAN ADAM, better known over here as "Turkish Star Wars"
I had never seen anything like it before, but I was captivated!
So I did some research and discovered that there was this entire cultural treasure trove of Turkish cinema that I knew nothing about! I've spent the past couple of years striving to correct my ignorance, and I continue to collect, watch, and read about as many of these films as possible."
When did you decide to release Rampage?
"One of my great passions is for overseas remakes and knock-offs of American films, and over the past few years I've accumulated a decent collection of them. In fact, every other Saturday my wife and I screen one with several of our friends.
So, back in October 2007 my friend Jake Kaufman came to visit for the premiere of PRESS START. He brought with him a copy of DUNYAYI KURTARAN ADAM and asked excitedly if I had seen it. I had to tell him that not only had I seen it, but we had just watched the sequel, DUNYAYI KURTARAN ADAM'IN OGLU, only a few days before. Undeterred, he asked if I had seen "Turkish Rambo" I hadn't even heard of it, but once I had, I absolutely had to see it. So I quickly went to youtube and watched the famous rocket launcher sequence from KORKUSUZ and I was hooked!
I wanted to get the complete movie to watch, but no English version existed. And after searching in vain for several months, I had a crazy idea: "I have the resources, so why don't I release an English version of KORKUSUZ myself?"
So I talked to Bill Barounis of Onar Films and he got me in touch with a producer in Turkey. I bought the rights to the film, and with the kind help of my friends and colleagues I was able to put together the first English version ever made."


Which themes effect you on Turkish Fantastic Movies, sounds? stars? director? or any other thing?
"Turkish remakes in general are a big one. There's something fascinating about watching a film that's both familiar and different at the same time seeing Serdar instead of Stallone, Cuneyt Arkin instead of Clint Eastwood, or even Cappadocia instead of a Hollywood set.
Moreover, because these films are rarely exact scene-for-scene remakes, I never know where they'll take me or what direction they'll go.But the thing about Turkish Fantastic Films that has the biggest effect on me is their raw energy. They may not have had big budgets, but they had so much enthusiasm! The pace is always fast, and the action is always very powerful and kinetic. That's sadly not the case with a lot of low budget action movies from other parts of the world, especially America.
Often they're very slow and dull, and the fights are weak if they even have any. But Turkey knew how to do it right!"
Have you any favourite director / artist / genre on Turkish cinema?

"My favorite Turkish director is definitely Cetin Inanc. He's never been afraid to make a movie beyond his means; even with very little money and under difficult conditions he wouldn't shy away from sci-fi, fantasy, or epic action. As a filmmaker I find that very inspiring."
Will you have new projects after Rampage or is there any next release plan after it?
"I'm continuing to produce and direct the PRESS START ADVENTURES cartoons and I have another feature-length project in the works, but it's a secret for now.
I would absolutely love to release another Turkish film, but it all depends on how well RAMPAGE sells. So for anyone reading this: if you buy it and enjoy it, please tell your friends!"
Also, I encourage anyone who's interested to check out the Dark Maze Studios website at www.darkmaze.com
Korkusuz - Rampage DVD Trailer:



CIKO - Cetin Inanc Collectors fan page: www.myspace.com/cetininanc

Sinematik Team

No comments: